Wednesday, 23 September 2015

The CV is Back in Circulation

Yep. I've had a reason to send my CV out this morning. Not for a paid job - don't be daft - but for a volunteer role with the International Women Istanbul organisation.

To make a short story long - I have that knack - we got the dolmus (minibus) into Istanbul on Monday with Sally and Brian, after I learned how to use it on Friday. A lady got on at the other end of Yesilkoy and at next to Paul, but only after a nice young guy gave up his seat for her - which is great considering she's not old - yet another 30-something. Anyway, Beate, turns out to be a THY First Officer on the same fleet as Paul. I mentioned that I am looking for some form of charity work and, by coincidence, she was going to the welcome meeting for the IWI - so I tagged along - cutting short the tourist stuff we had planned for the Coghills - but needs must.  I met the Chairperson, had a lovely long chat, and found that there are plenty of opportunities on the Board. Lots of events coming up - including a large Christmas Fair and a Spring Ball. Sounds right up my street. All proceeds go to charity - I wonder if I could get Tabitha on there ! The first meeting is the 15th October. I updated the old CV yesterday and sent it off.  So lets see what awaits.

I've also met a new friend - Beate seems really lovely - a joint friend - someone Paul can speak pilot shite to, and I can chat girlie stuff with.

We had a great day in Istanbul with the Coghills. Its a difficult balance as we don't want to traipse around the same old places with every visitor so we are going to need to get clever with who we take where. Having seen the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace before, we didn't want to stand with lots of tourists in huge queues again, so this trip was a walk through Taksim (a very popular area for shoppers and rebellious protests) down to Galata Bridge, and on a 2 hour boat trip up the Bosphorous. It was all I could manage as I put on a pair of sandals I haven't worn since Singapore - wore them loads there with no problems. In no time at all my heels and toes were rubbed to bare flesh, and I ended up buying a new pair of sandals. This is what happens to feet that are in flip-flops and sweaty training shoes for 4 years !! I really hope that I can get them toughened up for hill walking again - when my boots finally arrive that is !




Oh - great news on the shipping front. The container is in a dock somewhere in Istanbul. The processing has started and, baring any issues, we should have our worldly goods by 2nd October. Fingers are tightly crossed on that score - and the bank account is being filled with offerings from our UK rainy day money so that we can be ready to pay whatever is needed to the customs thieves.

A lovely day yesterday - while the Coghills went off to explore Istanbul on their own - testing out the BN1 bus service for us at the same time - took just 30 mins to Galata Bridge. We were waiting in for the plumber to come and install a new shower tray and shower doors (which the landlord is unbelievably paying for). So off I trouped to the gym to get my weekly Zumba experience. I wonder when I will tire of it :-). Paul went to to the gym in the afternoon, while I watched Downton Abbey, did the ironing and shed a few tears at the end. Its going to be a shame when the series ends in a few weeks time. There'll be a Christmas Special no doubt. Oh - and the plumber never arrived. So that's next weeks problem

So - tomorrow is the Sacrifice Festival (Bayram). The offices are closed down all week, and most of the 18 million people who live in Istanbul seem to have moved out. A burglar's paradise no doubt ! It's so quiet here. We are going to go to the Princes Islands on Friday (the Boxing Day equivalent) - might even take Caglan up on his offer of visiting his family. Always something to look forward to.

To end on an amusing story that's just come to mind - although Paul wasn't amused at all. On the dolmus back from the gym on Sunday he stumbled in the aisle as it went around a corner. So a lovely young lady stood up and insisted the old man had her seat. I told him he should have worn his Captain Marvel suit !!!





No comments:

Post a Comment